Sunday, October 19, 2008

The $700 Billion Wall Street Bailout and the Oregon Elections

I just got my mail-in ballot this weekend. Now what to do with it?

First, although I have criticized Barack Obama in the past, I intend to vote for him. My criticism of Obama has centered on my suspicion that he may not fully understand the radical nature of the fixes required for the mess our country is in. But I believe that I know McCain and Palin all too well. Four years of McCain/Palin would just create a bigger mess, one which we might not survive.

Second, in the days just before the Congressional authorization of the $700 billion Wall Street bailout, I called and e-mailed both my senators and the congressman for my district to express my opposition to the bailout. I was by no means the only one who did so.

Representative Earl Blumenauer wisely voted twice to oppose the bailout. Therefore he gets my vote.

On the other hand, Senator Gordon Smith voted in favor of the bailout. I hope he doesn't need my vote to keep his job. Otherwise, he'd better start looking.

No comments: