Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Words of Explanation, and A Word of Thanks

I have noticed a rather drastic increase in my blog traffic over the last few weeks. (I like that a lot!) It's good to know that posts which require research (and a little blood, sweat and tears) are appreciated. However, I think it might be good to provide a word of clarification regarding my last post. It occurred to me that some who read my criticism of the “zombie apocalypse” approach to our present societal problems might conclude that I am minimizing those problems. In fact, I am not; the problems and issues faced by our global industrial society truly are serious. The consequences will in many cases be dire, unless action is taken to intelligently adapt to the depletion of natural resources and the creation of environmental consequences which has already occurred. For the age of consequences has already begun. And “we” especially in the U.S. have refused to adapt.  To me, the problem with the "gold, guts and guns" approach is that it seems people who adopt this approach have found in the issue of resource depletion and climate change the perfect excuse to act out elements of selfish psychology which have been part of the American "culture of the cowboy" from the beginning.

As far as blog traffic, I want to extend a welcome to those of you who have joined in reading my posts. I noticed that a lot of you are from outside the U.S. A large number of readers have come from Russia.
  Спасибо и Добро пожаловать! I hope I can continue to provide you with analysis, research and perspective which you will find useful, as well as providing you with yet another window into the United States.  If you have any questions or topics you want me to cover, feel free to let me know, and I will try to do my best.  If you ask me a question in Russian, have mercy on me; Я знаю немножко русский язык, но мои русский есть плохой.  If I survive graduate school, I hope to take time to become more fluent.  As for me, I have been enjoying a blog named The Vineyard of the Saker, written by a team that includes a Russian who calls himself the Saker and who is now living in Florida.  I like the fact that the Saker brings a spiritual perspective to the present geopolitical situation, and I like his perspective on the United States.  Check out the guest post titled, "The Volga flows into Barada" to see the sort of soul to which a people ought to aspire.

I'll end on a spiritual note.  Over the last few months, I have stopped going to American churches altogether on Sundays, and am now exclusively visiting immigrant churches.  This is the culmination of a process which had been going on for the last few years.  (More on that story in the future, if anyone wants to hear it.)  Along the way, I have picked up some good music.  One day I'll post a link to an Oromo Ethiopian church song.  It'll get your feet moving for sure.  But for tonight, here is a link to a song which has become a favorite of mine: 



I like the fifth verse especially:
Не надейся ты на праведность свою;
Все грехи в смирении принеси к Христу.
Жаждущий иди ко мне и пей,
Так сказал Господь
наш в милости своей.

1 comment:

Five Hundred Pound Peep said...

I have left the church system and am done with it. I've had my fill of Brain dead Republicanism and war mongering. I hope you can find a true church home in the churches you are visiting.

http://fivehundredpoundpeeps.blogspot.com/2015/12/the-poor-and-disabled-in-churches.html

Overseas more people realize that America is importing some scary stuff to their shores. Those who question the culture in their blog, do get foreign readership. It is weird, I even have a bunch. Other countries, more people know English. I just have a semi-knowledge of Spanish and thats it and I'm far from fluent.