Friday, September 22, 2017

Catch-Up - September 2017

Here's a quick update on things.  I still have a few posts I need to write to finish my series on "The Revanchism of the Third Rome," but other things have lately been keeping me too busy to write.  Here's what is occupying my time:
  • Tutoring and teaching math and language arts to families from marginalized populations.  Our group of tutors has expanded greatly within the last two months, and we are planning to go to at least two, and possibly three apartment complexes this fall.  We may even get to teach in people's homes, which would give a nice retro, counter-cultural feel to what we are doing - rather like this.
  • Nonviolent resistance.  There are now well over fifty people with whom I have been in frequent contact over the last two or three weeks, and we are discussing the start of a boycott of holiday shopping (both for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas/Hanukkah/whatever else), along with a general push for frugality among those now targeted by the current regime.  We want to serve up a steaming, heaping helping of economic non-cooperation this holiday season.  Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Thank you for posting links. I have been horrified by the slow motion disaster in Puerto Rico, and absolutely appalled and disheartened by the apathy around it. It makes me so sad and so angry, I want to scream at everyone that the disregard with which Puerto Rico is now being reacted is the same disregard with which Flint Michigan was treated, the same disregard (almost) with which New Orleans' poor and black citizens were treated... this same disregard is going to spread, my fellow Americans. As resources get tighter, this narrative of the "undeserving" is going to spread - YES even to white communities. WAKE UP. If you won't agitate for Puerto Rico now, no-one is going to agitate for you tomorrow.