Saturday, March 4, 2023

Precarity in the United States: A Preview of Coming Attractions

I have begun research on my next posts in my series on precarity and the precariat.  My focus will shift from precarity in formerly communist countries to precarity in the United States.  I believe we will see a surprising similarity of patterns to those patterns we observed in the Russian and Chinese cases.  We will also see that very few people in the Unites States can afford to be complacent anymore.  I have gathered a lot of material, and like a person who has just binge-shopped a gourmet supermarket, I'll need time to digest it all.  In the meantime I may write a post on another subject tomorrow, but if I do, it will be a short post.  Those who want to get a head start on me in my research on precarity, American style, can consult the following sources:
  • The Educated Underclass: Students and the Promise of Social Mobility, Gary Roth, Pluto Press, 2019.
  • Immigrant Labor and the New Precariat, Ruth Milkman, Cambridge: Polity Press, 2020.  (Note: Try not to order an e-book copy of this through the John Wiley website.  Wiley has e-book download policies that will make you want to kick furniture and punch walls...)
  • "Not 'Just' a Barista: The Story of Portland's College-Educated Baristas, Ned William Tilbrook, Portland State University, 2020.  (Now this sounds interesting!)
And there's much, much more!  Stay tuned . . .

No comments: