Monday, July 20, 2026

An End To World Cup 2026, Thankfully

I have an upcoming post which will describe what I believe to be the near-term prospects for corporations that make their money by launching swarms (or "constellations") of low Earth orbit satellites.  This post will be a follow-up to a recent post of mine about a man who claims to be the world's first trillionaire.  But right now I'm very, very busy with work, so I don't have time yet to finish writing that post.  Oh, if only I were a house cat!  Then I could get some human to feed me for free...

Anyway, here's a short post for today.  I haven't watched most of the World Cup.  The only footage I saw was this past 4th of July when I was in a hotel restaurant in Vancouver, British Columbia.  But I was glad when the U.S. was eliminated from the competition.  Now I'm glad that Spain beat Argentina to win the 2026 World Cup.  Spain's victory is sweet for the following reasons:
  • Spain played better football (soccer for us American boneheads) than Argentina.
  • Spain's team was vastly more sportsmanlike and civilized than Argentina's team.  Argentina's team acted like a bunch of thuggish toddlers - especially after the game ended.
  • Over the last year and a half, Spain's national leadership has courageously stood up against Trump in the realm of geopolitics.
  • Both Argentina and the United States have aligned themselves with the goals of the Global Far Right in their zeal to prop up white supremacy and their zeal to Make Themselves Great by violently trashing their fellow human beings.  Therefore they (along with Russia) should properly be regarded as rogue nations.  Such nations are psychically incapable of bringing themselves to share the world equitably with their fellow human beings.  They refuse to follow the Golden Rule.
  • The 2026 World Cup was a slap in the face of Trump in that it showed him the limits of his power.  It became yet one more arena of conflict in which he has begun to lose.  I don't have a TV, but it must have been a moment of rich enjoyment to watch him having to hand the World Cup trophy to Spain!
And now let's look at the 2026 World Cup in its historical context.  In that the U.S. was one of the nations hosting this year's World Cup, the event has become for many observers similar to the 1936 Summer Olympic games which were held in Berlin in Nazi Germany.  As Trump sought to turn the 2026 World Cup into a playground for American exceptionalist narcissism, so Adolf Hitler tried to turn the 1936 Summer Olympics into a supposed showcase for supposed Aryan racial superiority.  But athletes such as Jesse Owens did significant damage to Hitler's narcissistic moment.  Then Nazi Germany began to lose in more substantive and self-destructive ways in the ensuing years, even though they seemed to be riding high at the outset.  I wonder what losses lie in wait for the United States in the months and years to come.  Surely those losses can't be very far away.  And they will be far more substantive than merely losing a football match.

No comments: